Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Sadly, this is William Carey College, Gulfport, MS



William Carey College, Gulfport, MS, Aug. 1, 2006
Classes are being held in these trailers more than a year after Hurricane Katrina.

On my trip to Gulfport, MS, earlier this month to speak with Dr. Glenn Swetman's creative writing class at William Carey College, I was saddened by the disaster still plaguing the Gulf Coast, aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

I will speak at Swetman's American Literature class on October 26, after a duel booksigning with Swetman at the Barnes & Noble in Gulfport on Oct. 25. For more information email pat@liebbooks.com

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Read Barack Obama's commencement speach at Xavier University

http://www.barackobama.com

Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

It's too bad that many Gulf Coast communities, such as Gulfport and New Orleans, are still facing so many challenges.

Unknown said...

Yes deb sistrunk: It is hard for me to imagine just how bad things still are for affected residence one year after Katrina. I visited a writer-friend, Dr. Glenn Swetman, and spoke at his Creative Writing class at William Carey College (classes are being held in trailers as the school is a disaster) Aug. 1. As one who has been in-and-out of that area for years, I was dismayed at the rubble everywhere. I just shook my head sadly. Glenn, who had driven over to New Orleans the week prior, just looked at me and said, "New Orleans is much worse." And we were just talking about material things here.